Thursday, December 18, 2014

EXPOSiTO!! My peers mocked me for being skinny– 15yr Old Maribar Akinleye,Best Model Nigeria 2014

A 15 year-old model, Maribar Akinleye, emerged Best Model Nigeria 2014. Akinleye was crowned in Lagos on September 21, at Bespoke Event Centre, Lekki. Best Model Nigeria is an annual modelling contest for male and female Models. Its objective is to provide a platform to promote Nigerian models and position them for international modelling opportunities by building credible, trusted and honest ambassadors that will give greater visibility to Nigerian brands and promote Nigeria's rich cultural and tourism potentials, according to the organisers.

Consequently, Maribar will be representing Nigeria at the Best Model of The World Modelling Contest in Istanbul, Turkey, in November. In this chat with CHRISTIAN AGADIBE, the 15-years-old model talks about growing up, how she discovered modelling and family.

Excerpts: 

Tell us about yourself? 

My name is Maribar Akinleye, I am 15 years-old and I just won the Best Model Nigeria 2014 Contest. I am from Oyo State, Ibadan to be precise, and I'm a secondary school graduate. I'm from a family of four; I'm the only girl and the last child.

Did you believe that you could win? 

I was not expecting it.

So how does your victory make you feel? 

It makes me feel on top of the world. I'm so happy right now; my joy knows no bounds.

That moment when you were mentioned winner, what was going on in your mind? 

At first I was like okay, but before I knew it I started crying; I was so happy. I'm short of words; I don't know what to say. The truth is that I did not expect to win; there were so many girls that were taller, older and more experienced but eventually I won. It was so surprising; it's still like a dream that I won.

How did you get to know about the pageant? 

A friend of mine just sent me a broadcast on BBM that 'Hey Maribar, I think you should go for this because they are looking for young models like you.' And bingo! I went for it and here I am today.

What would you say is that thing that gave you an edge over other competitors? 

I think it's my experience because I've been is so many fashion shows and I've gotten to meet so many people.

At what age did you start modelling? 

I started modelling at age 14 last year. I featured in Lagos Fashion & Designing Week, Muzic Meets Runway, and Five TV Runway Fiesta. I also did a photo-shoot for Ndani TV late last year.

Who in your family gave you the inspiration to model? 

Actually, it was my sister-in-law because at 13 I was very tall. So one say she called me aside and talked to me about it. It was so interesting back then; we used to have a fake photo shoot in the house with her camera. She would show a picture of Kendall Jenner to me then tell me to pose like her. That was how I started.

As an up-and-coming model, who do you look up to? 

Wow! I look up to Tyra Banks because she is beautiful, black, determined and successful. I look up Tama Awabotu, she is an international model from Ogun State. She is really doing well and has featured in so many international runways; she was the first black to win the Top Model World in the UK in 2012.

What would you say was the most challenging part of the contest? 

That should be the traditional wears segment. When they told us to come out for the traditional segment, I tried to do the popular Yoruba dance, gbata; it was really hard but I pulled it off!

What has changed in your life since you won? 

A lot. I have learnt to relate with people more because I had to stay with different people from different background that I never knew before now.

What determines your fashion style? 

My fashion goes with my mood; it depends on the way I'm feeling.

Where should we see you in the next five years? 

I see myself rolling with Tyra Banks, becoming the next Naomi Campbell, rubbing shoulders with all the top models of the world and walking on the same runway with them.

A word for the organizers of the contest 

Trust me, they are like the nicest people I have ever met. They are like my second family right now. They discover young people like me and give them a voice and a platform to excel; I will be forever grateful to them.

Now that you're a model, could you pose nude in public for a professional job? 

Oh No! I can't pose nude. But I can do bikini because it is showcasing. As long as it's a designer's dress and I am a runway model I should expect that. But posing nude is out of it; I can't do that.

How do you feel when cat walking on the runway? 

Wow! I feel like I'm in another world. There is a spirit that comes into me, I forget every other thing and I get caught up in the mood of the moment.

If in the future your husband tells you to quit modelling, will you adhere to it? 

Sure I will. By then I would have made my name. If he wants me to stop, fine; there is no problem.

How was your growing up? 

My growing up was fun. As the only girl in the house; everyone always looked out for me and I got whatever I wanted. I went to the best schools and lived in a very homely environment.

While growing up, what did you wish you never had? 

(Laughter) I was really skinny and all my friends were a bit chubby. They were worried that I was anorexic but then I grew up and saw other skinny girls. I always felt sad. I would cry to my mummy that I wanted to be fat. But she encouraged me to calm down that this is how I was meant to be; that I shouldn't be envious of fat girls.

Were you bullied then? 

I wasn't bullied but they were always making fun of my skinniness; I was the butt of their jokes. I can remember some asking me if I ate at all or whether I was an HIV patient or something like that. I was so skinny that you could see my collar bones jutting out. When I was in secondary school, I was the youngest in the whole class and everyone knew me as that skinny girl that sat in front and always wore glasses. But now I've learnt to embrace my skinniness. Today, I'm thanking God that I'm skinny because right now, I think skinny is in vogue. Even every chubby person wants to be skinny now because they feel intimidated when they see skinny people.

What do you intend to use your platform to achieve? 

I would start by scouting for potential models, groom them and give them a platform to achieve their dreams. I like to see people happy so I'd like to go to orphanages to inspire and give those kids all the support I can.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone, powered by Easyblaze

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:
Drop Comments
*Comments on this blog are NOT posted by ANY STAFF OF ENEKEM.
*ENEKEM Readers are SOLELY responsible for the comments they post on Enekem.com
*cheers*

NEW MUSIC: Saint (@Saint_ntb) - Koko

This tune is banging ,Guys check out this KoKo jam by Saint  Atunnise Olaoluwa aka Saint is a songwriter/singer claims whose aim is to deliv...