Thursday, November 10, 2016

I would destroy my green card if Trump is elected President- Wole Soyinka

Soyinka said on November 2 while giving a speech to students of Oxford University in England that he would destroy his Green card in the eventuality of a Trump presidency but that decision will have to wait.

The Nobel laureate had said: "If in the unlikely event he does win, the first thing he'll do is to say [that] all green-card holders must reapply to come back into the US. Well, I'm not waiting for that.

"The moment they announce his victory, I will cut my green card myself and start packing up."

In what has been described as an upset, Trump defeated Hillary CLinton

Newsweek reports that Soyinka said that he would not carry out his threat yet but noted that the US may soon withdraw support from Nigeria in the anti-terrorism war.

The US under the administration of President Barack Obama has supported the fight against terrorism especially in West Africa as it has provided about $71 million worth of equipment, logistics and training to task force coalition in the region.

Soyinka said: "One should expect that level of collaboration to diminish. Trump's mentality is one of, 'What are we doing there? What business do we have over there?'

"I foresee Trump dismissing that kind of expectation offhand and closing in, shrinking, becoming smaller in terms of [the U.S.'s] presence in other parts of the world."
When asked about his decision to tear his Green card, Soyinka said: "Why don't we wait until Trump actually takes office?"

"I'm just going about my normal commitments, but definitely not getting into any more commitments. Let's put it that way for now."

However in a separate interview with The Interview Magazine, Soyinka said he would leave he US in January, 2017 when Trump is sworn in.

He said: "Come January 20, 2017; watch my WOLEXIT! (Donald Trump will be sworn-in as the 45th President of the United States of America on Friday, January 20, 2017)

"As Election Day approached, the specter became near palpable. I refused to switch on the television this morning until I had stiffened myself with a strong espresso. I felt disaster in my marrow."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:
Drop Comments
*Comments on this blog are NOT posted by ANY STAFF OF ENEKEM.
*ENEKEM Readers are SOLELY responsible for the comments they post on Enekem.com
*cheers*

NEW MUSIC: Saint (@Saint_ntb) - Koko

This tune is banging ,Guys check out this KoKo jam by Saint  Atunnise Olaoluwa aka Saint is a songwriter/singer claims whose aim is to deliv...