Saturday, December 27, 2014

My Christmas Day Was Almost Ruined By Wizkid ------- Etcetera Writes (must read)

Etcetera Is not holding back on randomly picking a celeb and criticizing their work , well this time the singer turn blogger/critic goes for Wizkid and this view is pivoted on the whackness of his popular hit single "In my Bed" , see what Etcetera had to say below
 

***Six weeks ago, I was in Benin City to support a friend who was getting married that weekend. We drove down to Ugbowo campus of UNIBEN, laughing along the way at bini guys and the way they pronounce certain words. We got stuck in an unusual traffic jam and my friend who was driving, took the opportunity to reply his pings, pausing only to turn up the radio when Wizkid's "In My Bed" came on. A few seconds later, he increased the volume even more. I accepted that since I was in his car, I had to endure his choice of songs. So I listened, trying to figure out why he was interested in that particular song.
Though the melody has this jingle-catchy feel, everything else about the song is horrible. The mix brought to mind those days when Nigerian studio engineers were still learning how to mix. The overall instrumentation is noisy with the kick pitched high, like a headache. Played on F-sharp minor, which is a predominantly high key for most people, but the struggling syncopation over a lazy bass line weighs the whole song relentlessly down. My friends know that I have a crazy physical reaction to songs, mostly when I love it. In this instance, I was gasping for breath by the end, as if the song was trying to strangle me. I thanked God I was still alive when it finally ended. But as the traffic lingered my friend put down his phone, this time to surf through radio stations. Again, he landed on "In My Bed." That was when I really got scared, thinking I was going to pass out.

This year, we have had a mix of both good and bad songs. Wizkid's "In my bed" is one of those ear worms you don't want to get into your brain space for three minutes and 46 seconds. Those who will say "WTF" is Etcetera saying? I want you to note that I have a zero interest in persuading you to agree with me. If you enjoy "In My Bed," I won't dream of changing your mind. I heard it again last weekend at my manager's party, and for a second, I thought it was some kind of pain killer advert, because the radio station where I have my show, currently runs an ad that sounds like a more palatable version of it.


My Christmas day was almost ruined when a caller on my show requested "In My Bed" for his girlfriend. Because Christmas only comes once in a year, I decided to grant her wish, but as soon as I clicked play, I had the sort of physical reaction associated with someone suddenly coming i

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:
Drop Comments
*Comments on this blog are NOT posted by ANY STAFF OF ENEKEM.
*ENEKEM Readers are SOLELY responsible for the comments they post on Enekem.com
*cheers*

NEW MUSIC: Saint (@Saint_ntb) - Koko

This tune is banging ,Guys check out this KoKo jam by Saint  Atunnise Olaoluwa aka Saint is a songwriter/singer claims whose aim is to deliv...